Divine Mercy Within Our Homes

(This post is the second in a series about Divine Mercy, where I share about what Divine Mercy looks like within our homes, and 10 ideas of how to live our Divine Mercy in our families. You can find the first post here, where I share about my journey towards healing and Divine Mercy. )

We live in the Age of Mercy. 

Pope Francis reminded us of this five years ago. St. John Paul II consecrated the whole world to Divine Mercy in 2002. Jesus told St. Faustina that He was prolonging the time of mercy, as she shares in her diary (No. 1160).

I am so grateful to live during this age, this time when Jesus desires to pour His loving, healing mercy over each of us so generously, so abundantly.


To live in the Age of Mercy comes with the Father's compassion, understanding, forgiveness, love and healing. But it also comes with a cost.

Following Jesus and making Him the Lord of our lives will bring us infinite joy and peace, eternal happiness beyond anything we can imagine. But there is a cost.

As Christians, we are called to be like Christ. We are called to pour out our mercy for others. I know that for me, this can be really difficult.

This Sunday is Divine Mercy Sunday, so it's a good time for all of us to reflect on how we can pour out our mercy on those around us. And right now, amid the Covid 19 Pandemic, we are called to pour out our mercy over others like we never have before.

Sr. Miriam recently reminded me that just as Esther was, we are meant to live in such a time as this. (Esther 4: 14) We were each meant to live right now, during this pandemic, in the Age of Mercy.

So how can I live into that? How can I live my vocation as a mother and wife during the Age of Mercy?

While we are homebound, I am called to minister to my family and to others in new ways. All of the activity has been stripped away.

I am left bare, faced with 
what is in my own heart. 

Do I have a heart of mercy?

Sometimes. But it's hard.

Throughout our marriage, I do this weird thing with Jason. Both of us have issues with our sleep, and struggle with times of insomnia. Every morning, we ask the other how they slept. But in my heart, I often don't listen to his response. I mean, I hear it. But I'm not really listening. If I'm honest, I don't actually want to hear how tired he is. Because I've already decided that I'm more tired. I get to claim that title; I'm the king of that mountain (monotone yay).

I often do the same at the end of the day. Whose day was more difficult? Who worked harder?

Why do I sometimes live with a competitive heart with my own husband, rather than a heart of mercy?

A merciful heart isn't thinking about themselves when a loved one is sharing about a struggle. A merciful heart really listens and is the face, heart and mercy of Jesus in that moment.

Likewise, when my children complain, I just want to tell them to stop it. I want to tell them why they have nothing to complain about, why they shouldn't be upset or sad or frustrated. I want to explain to them all of the reasons they should be grateful.

There's nothing wrong with trying to raise grateful children.

But am I grateful?

And when I'm sad, does it help if someone tells me all of the reasons that I shouldn't feel that way? Or does it just make me angry, frustrated and feel misunderstood and alone.

I am having a more merciful heart when I respond with, "That's really hard. I'm so sorry. I've felt like that before too."

Mother Teresa teaches us in her book, No Greater Love:
Peace and war start within one's own home. If we really want peace for the world, let us start by loving one another within our families . . . We must love those who are nearest to us, in our own family. From there, love spreads toward whoever may need us.  
It is easy to love those who live far away. It is not always easy to love those who live right next to us. It is easier to offer a dish of rice to meet the hunger of a needy person than to comfort the loneliness and the anguish of someone in our own home who does not feel loved.  
I want you to go and find the poor in your homes. Above all, your love has to start there. I want you to be the good news to those around you. 
This is a heart of mercy.

As we celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday this weekend, let's reflect on how we can be the image of Divine Mercy in our own homes. Let's hang that image on the walls of our own hearts. Here are some ideas how . . .


1. Pray. Pray for your own soul, and the souls of your family members. We cannot pour out Divine Mercy except by the grace of God. Ask for your heart to be overflowing with Divine Mercy, pouring over everyone you encounter.

2. Listen. Really listen. Don't be thinking about your response, or your own life. Just listen.

3. Let them be grumpy. Whoever it is that's freaking out, just let them. Shield your heart with Divine Mercy. Don't let someone else's bad mood pull you down. Accept it, forgive them and love them anyway. When the moment is right, ask them if there is anything you can do for them. Don't focus on how you've been wronged. Focus on how you can love and serve.

4. Do that chore and clean up that mess you didn't make. With cheerfulness.

5. When someone makes you angry or is disrespectful, find some space and cool all of the way down before talking to them about it.

6. Do the thing someone else wants to do. Play that game. Read aloud that book that you hate and they love, and do all of the voices. Pass over the remote.

7. Find a way to serve others outside your home. Find a place to donate food. Make cards for a rehabilitation center. Mow the neighbor's lawn. Find out if you can pick them something up at the grocery store.

8. Forgive them. When they don't deserve it. Did we deserve the sacrifice on the cross? The blood and water that continues to be poured over our sinful hearts? Of course not.

9. Laugh. Be silly. Play. Smile.

10. Foster gratitude.

11. A bonus one, but also one of the most important. Accept their faults. We are all doing the best that we know how. Find whatever the log is in your own eye. Focus on that.

12. A second bonus one. Say yes whenever you can and it's responsible to do so. Do your kids want to paint themselves with Jello? Can you let them? Do they want to play a game with you? Do they want to make dinner? Whatever it is, if you are able to and it's responsible, say yes.

May Jesus continue to pour 
His healing and merciful love 
Over all of us, 
Over the whole world. 
May we be more like Him, 
Pouring out love and mercy 
On all of those around us. 
Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts