A Commonplace Entry

Charlotte Mason's Volume 6, Towards a Philosophy of Education

It's taken me way too long to just sit down and read this. I think I was intimidated. In fact, I think I still have the hesitancy left in my mind from my school days, stale leftovers with a sour taste, keeping from reading anything too "old."

Which is such folly as most of what I read that is "old," I find refreshing and new and insightful. I am always amazed at how it applies to society today.

Nothing ever changes.


As I read words of Charlotte Mason's, I am amazed at how close they are to words I spoke to my mother on Easter. Charlotte asks:
Perplexed, we wonder, why do so many people seem to have no impulse to be generous, so logical patriotism, so ability to see beyond their own narrow concerns?
I have the tendency to romanticize and idealize the past. It is an encouragement and discouragement all at once that people spoke of the same concerns over a hundred years ago.

As I read Charlotte's words, they hold such truth and I feel compelled to read on, hungry for more of the wisdom and beauty she provides. Why did I not want to read this? I wonder.

She tells us,
The mind needs the daily food of knowledge.
And ironically, she herself is providing the feast.

She inspires and cements my conviction to my children's education, as well as mine:
But the people are beginning to understand. They are beginning to demand that their children receive a different kind of education that prepares their children for life, not just to earn a living. As a matter of fact, the man who has read and thought about all kinds of subjects and also has the training he needs, will be the most capable, whether his skill is handling tools, drawing plans, or accounting. The more of a well-rounded, whole person we succeed in making the child, the better able he'll be able to fulfill his potential, live his life and serve society. 
Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, Charlotte! I will now continue taking in the feast--today's offerings are St. Frances de Sales, Julie Bogart, Pam Barnhill and Charles Dickens :)

Comments

Popular Posts