Children and Anxiety, by Tanya Higgins

From Tanya Higgins . . .

I am not a mental health expert.  But I do have anxious children with the coronavirus breathing down our necks (hopefully not literally).  Anxious children create an anxious mom.  So, what to do?  Here are two faith-filled suggestions to just bring it down a notch.


1. Catholic songs dance party.  I grew up in the 70s and 80s and I absolutely LOVE the songs they played in church then.  Totally awesome and to this day I still wake up with these songs in my head and pray with these songs.  So many are from scripture and whenever I read scripture that reminds me of a song, I just start singing it (in my head!).

So, to pep up the kids, and yourself, take a break in the day and pump up the jam.  Here are some of the ones I love:

     a. “The King of Glory” by Willard Jabusch

     b. “Whatsoever You Do” by Willard Jabusch

     c. “You are near” by Dan Schutte

     d. “Blest be the Lord” by Dan Schutte

     e. “Though the Mountains my Fall” by Dan Schutte

      f. “City of God” by Dan Schutte 

     g. “I lift up my Soul” by Tim Manion

2. Bless your children.  At the end of the day, we pray together.  Then, as we tuck the kids in, we bless them, reminding them that God has got their back.  He is with them always and loves them without measure.  Place your right hand on the child’s head, saying, “I bless you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit” or “May The Lord Bless You. May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you. May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.”  This simple thing calms my kids down and helps them to be at peace.

Comments

Popular Posts